Dr. Mrs. Pankaj Rao, one of the Best Endodontist in Delhi for Painless Endodontics/Root Canal Treatment (RCT) in Delhi (Dwarka)
Get the best Root Canal Treatment (RCT) in Dwarka, Delhi by Dr. Pankaj Rao (Endodontist).
RCT is really a tooth saving procedure as it is done on the tooth in condition of severe decay and if RCT is not performed the tooth is suppose to be extracted.
RCT can last for even 20 years if treated by an experienced Endodontist in combination of routine visit to the dentist & if taken good care of overall dental health by the patient.
Get the painless RCT by one of the best Endodontist in Delhi (Dwarka), Dr. Mrs. Pankaj Rao, at Oraa Care Smile Dental Clinic.
What is Endodontic?
The word Endodontic has been derived from two Greek words- “endo” meaning inside, and “odont” meaning tooth. The treatment therefore refers to all procedures done inside the tooth. Endodontic is a specialized dental therapy which is useful for treating infected or diseased dental pulp.
The dental pulp is a delicate inner tissue of the tooth. When the pulp is severely affected by bacterial infection or any other disorder, it cannot be cured by a normal dentist.
In this case, endodontic therapy works wonders and effectively cures the dental pulp, of all abnormalities.
Who is an Endodontist and why they are called specialists?
Who is an Endodontist?
Endodontists are dental experts who have specialized in performing endodontic therapy treatments inside the pulp.
While normal dentists study about basic dental procedures, the Endodontists receive good knowledge and understanding about complex dental treatments, especially those involving root canal procedures.
After completing undergraduate dental schooling, the Endodontists opt for advanced education in this field and study for two more years, to achieve an excellence in this subject.
Due to their advanced knowledge and better treatment capability, the Endodontists are known as dental specialists.
Why to choose an Endodontist?
For any kind of complex dental issues, patients must never waste time, in visiting an Endodontist. By consulting such dental experts, patients and their families shall be benefitted from their:
- Experience: Without any doubt, the Endodontists have more experience and expertise in dealing with complex dental concerns. Since they have more experience, therefore they have better understanding of problems and instead of just curing the symptoms, the specialists get down to the root cause of the problems, and try to solve them through treatments and procedures.
- Efficiency: Besides excellence, the Endodontists are highly efficient in their diagnosis. They implement precise techniques, which delivers faster healing and positive experience to the patients. Where normal dentists can perform up to 2 root canals a week, these experts have records of performing 25 root canals, every week. Thus, they are more clued on and have better ways of treatments.
- Availability: It is easily and flexible to reach the Endodontists. They are available round the clock, and also turn up quickly, in case of emergencies. When such specialists are around, delays in treatment are less likely to happen, and patients can get immediate relief, from their discomfort.
- Advanced Treatments: Today’s Endodontists execute procedures, based on advanced technologies. They are highly proficient with modern equipment and devices, ideal for performing any endodontic therapy. Latest technology like digital imaging, fiber optics, ultrasonic instrumentation, and operating microscopes are used by the specialists, in their regular practices. They also implement measures to provide quick and comfortable treatment.
Dental Symptoms of Endodontic Therapy
Despite regular brushing, flossing, and other good habits and proper dental care; patients can encounter complex dental problems.
The main symptoms for all such issues can be pain in tooth/teeth, injuries and infections, increasing sensitivity to cold or hot, as well as swelling in oral and facial parts of body.
The cause of such symptoms can be:
- Abscessed Teeth: Abscess is a fatal infection which occurs around the root of the tooth. It happens when the dental pulp- soft tissue inside the root canal dies and becomes inflamed. The most common symptom of an abscessed tooth is pain arising from the tooth bone or pain experienced during chewing. In many cases, the gums swell. Initially, it might not be painful; however, with passing of days, patients might feel the pain gradually, which will ultimately turn into a severe toothache, when left untreated.
- Cracked Teeth: With different types of cracked teeth, there are varieties of symptoms. Patients can experience pain while chewing, on releasing biting pressure; while their tooth is exposed to extreme temperatures. In most cases, pain simply comes and goes, and normal dentists fail to identity the specific tooth that causes discomfort, and delivers unpleasant feeling to the patients. Common causes of having a cracked tooth are clenching and grinding teeth regularly, large fillings on teeth, and root canal treatment. Cracked teeth can be cured by an Endodontic therapy. Patients suffering from cracked teeth must visit an Endodontist.
- Dislodged Teeth: It commonly happens when someone suffers an injury. Due to accidents, tooth gets luxated or dislodged, and as a result, pushes into or out of the socket. Tooth might also shift sideways.
- Toothache: Toothache can happen from different causes. Whether a dental decay, injury or infection, tooth pain is quite common. Some common symptoms of toothache are sensitivity to hot and cold foods or liquids, for few moments; sensitivity to hold and cold consumables after any dental treatment, acute pain while biting down food, continuous pain for more than 30 seconds, after consuming hot and cold food and drinks, swelling of gums, severe pain and pressure on tooth, and finally subtle pain in upper jaw and teeth.
- Knocked-Out Teeth: Every year, almost 5 million teeth get knocked-out in children and adults. Teeth may get knocked-out due to any reasons, which can be accidents or other health problems. Often, if patients don’t take good care of their dental health, their teeth automatically knocks-out. Deficiency in nutrition or other dietary elements can also cause this problem.
Why may Endodontic disease cause swelling?
When the pulp tissue becomes severely diseased and necrotic, the resultant infection can spread from inside the tooth into the adjacent bone and soft tissues. As a result, swelling can occur in the tissues immediately surrounding the tooth.
If this situation is not treated and the disease process is not kept under control by the body’s defences, the infection can begin to spread into other tissue spaces, such as those around the eye or in the neck. In some situations, this can become a serious medical emergency
Treatment & Procedure
In order to cure the above problems, Endodontists perform different procedures and treatments, according to the nature of problem. Typically, the following procedures are conducted by a dental specialist.
- Root Canal Treatment: RCT is most ideal for healing abscessed teeth where the dental pulp suffers inflammation or infection. In the course of treatment, the decayed pulp is eliminated. After that, the inside portion of the tooth is well cleaned and disinfected. Then, it is filled and finally sealed with gutta-percha, a rubber-like material. Having done with this, the treated tooth is restored, and covered with a crown or filing for extra protection. Once tooth has been replaced, it starts normal functioning.
- Endodontic Retreatment: This procedure takes place after a root canal treatment. In the Endodontic retreatment process, first, the Endodontists reopen the tooth to eliminate the filling materials which were installed within the root canals during the first RCT. The tooth is then well examined, and the specialists search for new infections or additional canals. After that, they remove infections, if detected, and cleans and shapes the root canal, and fills the canal with new materials. At last, they seal the opening, with a temporary filling, and leave the tooth to heal. Post healing, the dental experts place new crown or other restoration on the tooth, and protect it.
- Endodontic Surgery: In some cases, just RCT is not enough to cure complex dental infections, which is why, Endodontists recommend Endodontic surgeries. There are different surgical processes which are done, based on issues suffered by the tooth. The most common surgery is apicoectomy or root-end resection, which is done when infections or inflammations survive in the bony area, surrounding the tooth end, after a RCT.
- Traumatic Dental Injuries: Traumatic injuries can result in various abnormalities: fractured or chipped tooth dislodged or luxated tooth, knocked-out tooth and root fractures. Endodontic therapies for each of these disorders are different. According to the condition of patients, and the cause of their dental concern, Endodontists suggest suitable therapies, post which the affected tooth or other dental part heals quickly, and comfortably.
- Dental Implants: Dental Implants are titanium posts, which look like artificial tooth, and are implanted into the jaw for holding the replacement tooth or dental bridge. The entire process happens in three stages: replacing one or more tooth, augmenting sinus and modifying ridge. First, depending on the extent of complexity, the respective tooth/teeth are removed. After this, the dental specialists implement sinus augmentation, which helps to develop bone by raising the sinus floor for placing the dental implants. In the final stage, Endodontists lifts away the gum from the ridges, and exposes the bony defect. Since deformities within the upper or lower jaw leaves behind insufficient bone for placing the implants, therefore, the experts modify the ridge and improve the appearance of the implants.
Complete Procedure of RCT
A dental procedure to treat infection at the centre of a tooth or the root canal system is called root canal treatment. This is also called endodontic.
The bacteria that live in the mouth and invade the tooth when tooth decay occurs, when teeth fillings leak or when teeth are damaged by trauma, such as a vehicle accident, fall or even a sports injury. Maintaining our natural teeth is the ultimate goal of all dental treatments.
If caries, inflammations, or infections spread to the dental nerves, there are often only two possibilities: complete removal of the tooth or a root canal treatment procedure which retains the tooth long-term as a functional chewing component.
Even with progress in the area of long-term dental replacement, one’s own tooth is always better than an artificial tooth. Keeping this in mind, root canal treatment is usually the most highly recommended alternative to teeth removal.
Root Canal Treatment Procedure
The removal of the infected or irritated nerve tissue that lies within the root of the tooth is known as Root Canal Treatment. It is this infected pulp tissue that causes an eventual abscess. The first step in a root canal is to obtain access to the nerve.
The length of the root canal is determined and the infected pulp is removed with the help of advanced digital x-ray.
Then the canal where the nerve is located will be reshaped and prepared to accept a special root canal filling material.
A special titanium set of drills are used, which are shaped in a particular angulations, which helps to achieve the right width of the canal in a few seconds that too without any pain therefore the time period to finish the root canal treatment reduces to a few min’s.
The final step in your root canal will be the sealing of the root canal with a sterile, plastic material called gutta percha. This is done in order to prevent possible future infection
Crown may be used after the treatment in case the tooth undergone RCT procedure is weak or chipped off
Common Symptoms requiring a Root Canal Treatment:
- Severe tooth pain, typically relieved by cold water and increases with the intake of hot liquids.
- Pain worsens when you lie down and reduces when you sit up.
- Pain stays for a long time after consuming cold things.
- Swelling around the tooth.
- Constant tooth pain
- Pain when chewing.
- Tooth pain referred to head and ears as well.
- Tooth sensitivity on consuming sweets.
If you have any of the above stated symptoms, it would be advisable that you visit your dentist, since he is the best person to judge whether you have a root canal disease or not, as some of these symptoms may be due to other problems as well.
Painless Single Sitting RCT
Single visit root canal is gaining much interest these days in dentistry. It is faster, well accepted & prevents recontamination of the root canal treatment between appointments.
Single siting root canal treatment in endodontia refers to gain the access till pulp chamber, locate the canals, clean it, shape it with endo instruments and fill it with gutta percha points and seal it with the cement.
Single sitting root canal treatment is commonly done these days due to lack of time with people for multiple sitting, a busy person and it goes with their accelerated paced style of living
Not everyone is a candidate of single sitting RCT mainly patient with pain or swelling in tooth need more than one sitting. First the swelling is being treated with antibiotics resulting in relief in pain and then the RCT is being performed.
After any Endodontic procedure, experiencing mild softness is quite natural, since the body goes through a healing process.
Over time and proper intake of medications gradually cure such discomfort and provides complete relief to patients. Post any Endodontic therapy, the following post-treatment care assures good health and fast healing:
- Firstly, patients must avoid eating anything until the mouth gets rid of its numbness. By doing so, patients can also prevent from biting their own tongue and cheek.
- Secondly, patients should also restrict biting or chewing with their treated tooth, until it has been well restored by their dental specialists.
- Thirdly, regular brushing and flossing should not be interrupted. Patients must regularly clean and wash their teeth, normally.
- Fourthly, in case if the opening in the tooth had been restored with a temporary filling material, patients must wear-off a thin layer in between appointments. And if patients have the feeling that their entire filling has come out, they must immediately contact their experts.
- Finally, they must look for certain symptoms like visible swelling inside or outside the mouth, uneven bite, return of initial symptoms even after treatment, and allergic reaction to certain medications. Allergies can be in any form, such as irritation, itching, rashes and hives. If they witness any of these signs, they must waste no time, in contacting with their Endodontists.
Tips for Preserving Good Quality Teeth
- Given a choice between RCT and tooth extraction, patients must blindly go for the former. And if dentists recommend extraction, patients must inquire about doing a Root Canal Treatment, and also if it’s a good option.
- For any Endodontic procedures, its best to consult an Endodontist, and not a normal dentist. Dentists don’t have the expertise of understanding such complex issues, and therefore might not be able to suggest accurate treatment, for any discomfort. Dealing with severe dental issues is a regular work of the Endodontists, and they perform all treatments diligently.
- Never choose tooth extraction, considering it to be cheaper, quicker, and less painful. Cost of dentures, bridges and implants are way cheaper, than tooth extraction. At the same time, they survive for years, and are covered by most insurance. Endodontic treatments are performed using modern devices, equipment and technology. Thus, the procedures take fewer amounts of time, and account for lesser pain and hassles. Patients go through a comfortable experience and have a pleasant feeling, after treatments.
- Post any Endodontic process, patients must not stop brushing and flossing, on a regular basis. Such good habits and dental care should be a regular practice. Regular washing and cleaning of teeth, dentures, or implants is essential for fast healing and long-term results.
- Depending on the patient’s condition, the dental experts provide some oral medications. They also provide other healthcare suggestions, which are related to the dental health and hygiene. Patients must strictly follow these advices, regularly, and report to their Endodontist, at regular intervals.
Myths about Root Canals and Root Canals Pain
Root Canal Treatment is very painful
It’s a common perception that RCT is quite painful, which is wrong. In real scenario, RCT does not cause any pain, rather relives patients of such discomfort. Modern RCT processes account for painless experience, and patients hardly feel anything, while the procedure is done.
According to research, patients who have been through RCT have described it as a “painless” procedure, than who aren’t familiar with the treatment.
Root Canal Treatment causes illness
Although many websites and Internet blogs claim that RCT brings further illness and diseases; renowned Endodontist have proved it wrong. There’s no scientific reason for developing illness from RCT.
The aim of RCT is to remove bacteria and other infection from the affected root canal, thereby preventing re-development of infection, and saving the natural tooth. Overall, it is safe and effective procedure.
Tooth Extraction is a good alternative to Root Canal
Extraction means pulling the tooth, and placing an artificial tooth, in its place. According to dental professionals and experts, there’s no alternative to natural tooth, and it must be preserved, as long as possible.
Artificial tooth can bring potential problems like preventing consumption of specific foods, changing tongue movement, and eating ways, etc. Endodontic procedures effectively treat the affected tooth or its parts, and restore it successfully.
Such treatments are more cost-effective, than extractions, and there’s less convenience and discomfort. With higher success rates, root canal-treated teeth can often last for lifetime. Thus, RCT is not only a good option, but also a better alternative than tooth extractions.
Visit Oraa Care Smile Dental Clinic for affordable and successful Root Canal Treatment by Endodontist in Delhi (Dwarka)